Peanut Butter Knife

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Urban Coyotes

Last year after I moved to Akron, I began driving through the valley on my way up to 271 N to work every morning. I started seeing these large, scruffy, mean looking dogs roaming around the fields and woods from time to time. One morning I had to slam on my brakes as one of these dogs raced across the road at lightning speed. My curiosity was piqued. Were these wolves? Wild dogs? It turned out that they were coyotes and up until that point I never knew that coyotes existed anywhere outside the desert regions of the country.

It turns out coyotes are turning up in increasing numbers in cities throughout the country due to their highly adaptable nature. This article from the Smithsonian does a great job of explaining this phenomena better than I can. It's really fascinating, I encourage you to read it.

In the west, they've dealt with this problem for years by encouraging homeowners to keep a close watch on their pets and not to leave pet food lying around outside. Not sure why this Chicago Tribune editorial thinks that midwestern suburbanites will find such tactics more inconveniencing than their western counterparts.

Unrelated

The Tribune also had another article about the perils of myspace yesterday. Yawn...I think this is becoming the lazy journalists new fallback story. Anyways, the only reason I bring this up is to point out my own myspace page and the fact that anyone out there who reads this blog who doesn't know me should stop by and introduce yourself.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "... and WTF are all these humans doing in our space? Not too long ago this was all trees. WTF," said the coyotes along 271. "They f- up North Randall and keep moving this way. WTF."

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger 54cermak said…

    The interesting thing about the coyote phenomenon is that they are not native to the area. They are proving to be quite adaptable and are spreading out over the entire country.

    Having said that, I hope my post didn't come across as implying I find the coyotes to be a nuisance.

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The coyotes are proving to be a valuable asset in NE Ohio. For the most part, there is not enough habitat to support large predators such as the native wolves or bear. The coyotoes have helped fill a void, that humans created. The coyote will hopeful begin to create an impact in our overabundant deer population. There have been studies in the chicago area, showing that coyotes are begining to thin the deer population, by eating fawns. I know it dosen't sound nice, but humans took the BMF bolt cutters to the circle of life, and the coyotes may be the smaller link that may help patch it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home